• World News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
Global Trading Markets
EconomyEditor's Pick

Meralco seeks DoE approval for 900-MW baseload procurement

by August 10, 2025
August 10, 2025

POWER distributor Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) is seeking to procure 900 megawatts (MW) of electricity via a competitive selection process (CSP).

It currently has three other CSP applications pending.

“There is another one coming in — a 900-MW baseload CSP,” according to Meralco Senior Vice-President and Head of Regulatory Affairs Jose Ronald V. Valles.

Mr. Valles said the auction is scheduled for late 2025.

The proposed CSP forms part of Meralco’s 2025 power supply procurement plan to obtain over 2,100 MW of capacity, which has been approved by the Department of Energy (DoE).

The CSP policy requires distribution utilities to procure power at a least-cost basis.

Meralco has requested DoE certificates of compliance for the three other CSPs, involving 200 MW of renewable energy baseload power, 600 MW worth of baseload, and 450 MW worth of mid-merit power.

Baseload power plants generate a steady supply of electricity to meet regular demand, while mid-merit plants are designed to operate during periods of intermediate demand.

“There is another one in the pipeline but we are still waiting for the resolution of the DoE with respect to these three CSPs because these are more urgent in terms of the commercial operations date that we are looking at for the distribution utility,” Mr. Valles said.

He said that Meralco’s application for the 200-MW CSP is now under review after the power distributor submitted its reply on the comments of the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) and the Energy Regulatory Commission.

The company has yet to receive the review of the ERC and PCC for its 600-MW and 450-MW CSPs.

In a statement on Sunday, Meralco confirmed  receipt of the show-cause order issued by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) for alleged failure to submit complete fuel data for the January to October 2022 period.

The order stems from the ERC’s request in January 2023 for documents related to the power supply agreement (PSA) between Meralco and Panay Energy Development Corp. (PEDC).

The ERC required submission of invoices and fuel cost computation for the period.

“As ERC’s directive was for the declared purpose of verifying generation charges ‘being passed on to its consumers,’ Meralco complied and provided ERC with copies of the invoices for its then existing PSA with PEDC — notwithstanding that these documents had already been previously submitted under Meralco’s regular reports to ERC,” the company said.

For the fuel cost computation, Meralco said that it clarified that its then PSA with PEDC was a financial contract with a fixed price or single tariff for the duration of the contract term.

“This means that it does not specify any fuel cost component, in contrast to a two-part tariff that distinguishes fixed costs from fuel costs on a monthly basis. Given this, the fuel cost computation was obviously not applicable,” the company said.

Following Meralco’s submission in 2023, the company said it did not receive any further communication from the ERC.

“At the outset, Meralco emphasizes that it does not only validate but scrutinizes the fuel components of the generation charges before these are passed through to its consumers,” the company said.

Meralco’s controlling stakeholder, Beacon Electric Asset Holdings, Inc., is partly owned by PLDT Inc.

Hastings Holdings, Inc., a unit of PLDT Beneficial Trust Fund subsidiary MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., has an interest in BusinessWorld through the Philippine Star Group, which it controls. —  Sheldeen Joy Talavera

previous post
Trump Torches ‘Disgusting Degenerate’ Nancy Pelosi and Her Shady Husband for Insider Trading
next post
BSP launches SME credit risk database

You may also like

TC announces safeguard measures probe on corrugating medium...

August 28, 2025

Chinese firms to send delegation to Philippines in...

August 28, 2025

NCR retail price growth steady in July

August 28, 2025

Ajinomoto factory to rise in Tarlac ecozone

August 28, 2025

Alfalfa trials to support dairy industry growth

August 28, 2025

Auction for offshore wind delayed to fourth quarter

August 28, 2025

PEZA says ‘robust’ pipeline keeps it on pace...

August 28, 2025

NFA to auction 60,000 MT of ageing rice...

August 28, 2025

DBM backs bigger LGU role in infra projects

August 28, 2025

Form and manner of protesting matters

August 27, 2025

    Fill Out & Get More Relevant News


    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.

    Recent Posts

    • Florida Redistricting Could Lock Democrats Out for a Decade

      August 31, 2025
    • MSNBC Panel Talks Banning All Firearms After Trans Shooter Targets Catholic School: ‘Do What Australia Did’

      August 31, 2025
    • HUD Secretary Scott Turner to BOOT ILLEGAL ALIENS from Section 8 Housing — Proof Of Citizenship Now Required For All Tenants

      August 31, 2025
    • Joy Reid Admits to Being DEI While Wearing a “F*ck Donald Trump” Hat (VIDEO)

      August 31, 2025
    • Chicago’s Far-Left Mayor Brandon Johnson Signs ‘Protective Order’ to Try and Block Trump’s National Guard Deployment, Vows to ‘Take Any Action Necessary’

      August 31, 2025
    Footer Logo
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2024 GlobalTradingMarkets.com All Rights Reserved.

    Global Trading Markets
    • World News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Stock
    • Editor’s Pick